Contact the Office of Geographic Names
The Office of Geographic Names (OGN) assists the Registrar of Geographic Names by liaising with naming authorities such as municipal councils,government departments and authorities to ensure the VICNAMES register is regularly updated.
On behalf of the Registrar, the OGN participates in ongoing communication with service providers such as the Emergency Services Telecommunications Authority (ESTA), Australia Post and other organisations. This ensures that the naming of Victoria's roads, geographic features and localities is consistent with the Naming rules for places in Victoria, Statutory requirements for naming roads, features and localities – 2016 (the naming rules) and reflects current best practice standards that minimise problems with service delivery, and locational and mapping issues.
The OGN can assist with enquiries about:
- the processes and principles in the Naming rules for places in Victoria, Statutory requirements for naming roads, features and localities –2016
The Registrar of Geographic Names
Office of Geographic Names
GPO Box 527
Melbourne VIC 3001
Phone: +61 3 8636 2525
Fax: +61 3 8636 2776
For enquiries about current major projects and the Geographic Place Names Advisory Panel:
Project Officer: Rafe Benli
Phone: 8636 2851
For enquiries about naming proposals and the audit program (Road Names):
Phone: 8636 2525
Related naming websites
- Australian Antarctic Names and Medals Committee
- Australian National Place Names Survey - Place Names Australia
- Committee for Geographical Names of Australasia
- Geoscience Australia Place Names search.
State and Territory websites
- Australian Capital Territory Planning and Land Authority
- New South Wales Geographic Names Board
- Nomenclature Board of Tasmania
- Northern Territory Place Names Committee
- Queensland place names information
- South Australian Gazetter - Place Names Online
- Victorian Aboriginal Corporation for Languages
- Western Australia Information Authority - Landgate.