Land titles

A land title is an official record of who owns a piece of land. It can also include information about mortgages, covenants, caveats and easements. Victoria's land titles are held in the state's online land titles register, managed by the Registrar of Titles using the Torrens system.

Before the Torrens system was introduced in 1862, a General law system operated in Victoria.

In 2012 Victoria celebrated 150 years of the Torrens title system, which revolutionised land registration and replaced the convoluted General law title system. 

About land titles

Information on land titles including the Registrar of Titles, the history of the titles office, General law titles, Crown land, legislation and a glossary of common terms used in land dealings.

Search for a title or track activity on a title or plan

Conduct a title search online; or, through a range of online services verify a title's authenticity, track activity on a title and follow the progress of a registered or unregistered plan.

Dealing with titles

Information on common dealings with titles: mortgages and discharges of mortgage, changing title details, replacing lost or destroyed titles, changing property boundaries, subdividing or consolidating titles, caveats, covenants and easements, and adverse possession.

Forms, guides and fees

Land Use Victoria's list of all forms, guides and fees relating to everyday land and title dealings.

Customer Information Bulletin

The Customer Infomation Bulletin provides advice on new procedures and current issues relevant to title searchers, solicitors, conveyancers, financial institutions, surveyors and other lodging parties.

Plans of subdivision and consolidation

Information on plans of subdivision and consolidation, building subdivision guidelines, acceptable easement purposes, non-survey guidelines and interpreting strata plans.

Owners corporations

Information on owners corporations and how they are created.

Land Use Victoria Lodging Book – Version 4.1

The Lodging Book - Version 4.1 includes general information, forms and documents that are needed to lodge land transactions with Land Use Victoria. The five sections are available in PDF format, free-of-charge.

Surveying and Planning through Electronic Applications and Referrals (SPEAR)

This is a link to the SPEAR website. SPEAR allows subdivision and planning applications to be lodged, managed, referred, approved and tracked online.

Electronic conveyancing

This is a link to the Electronic Conveyancing (EC) website. EC is used by conveyancers, solicitors and financial institutions on behalf of their clients (vendors and purchasers) to conduct electronic financial property settlement and the electronic lodgement of conveyancing transactions and electronic payment of duty to the State Revenue Office.

Page last reviewed on 31 October 2016

Global menu Back to Top