Planning certificates

Planning certificates are official statements of the planning controls that apply to a property. They are mainly used to satisfy the requirements of the Sale of Land Act 1962, under which the vendor of a property is required to provide details of the land zoning, and any overlay controls or exhibited proposed amendments to the planning scheme.

Planning certificates do not show the locations of zone boundaries and any additional site specific controls. It is therefore important to contact the relevant local council and check the planning scheme text for information on planning provisions and controls. All Victorian planning schemes can be viewed on Planning Schemes Online.

Statements of the zoning and overlays relating to a property can also be obtained at no cost in a Planning Property Report. These statements however do not have the same legal status as planning certificate.

Local Government Areas

Any person can apply for a planning certificate. The department issues planning certificates for the following municipalities:

  • Alpine Resorts
  • Ballarat
  • Banyule
  • Baw Baw
  • Bayside
  • Boroondara
  • Brimbank
  • Campaspe
  • Cardinia
  • Casey
  • Colac Otway
  • Darebin
  • East Gippsland
  • Frankston
  • French Island
  • Glen Eira
  • Golden Plains
  • Greater Bendigo
  • Greater Dandenong
  • Greater Shepparton
  • Hobsons Bay
  • Hume
  • Indigo
  • Kingston
  • Knox
  • Latrobe
  • Manningham
  • Mansfield
  • Maribyrnong
  • Maroondah
  • Melbourne
  • Melton
  • Mitchell
  • Moira
  • Monash
  • Moonee Valley
  • Moorabool
  • Moreland
  • Mornington Peninsula
  • Mount Alexander
  • Moyne
  • Nillumbik
  • Port of Melbourne
  • Port Phillip
  • Pyrenees
  • South Gippsland
  • Stonnington
  • Swan Hill
  • Surf Coast
  • Warrnambool
  • Wellington
  • Whitehorse
  • Whittlesea
  • Wodonga
  • Wyndham
  • Yarra

Applications for planning certificates for land within other localities, including regional Victoria, should be made to the  relevant local council.

Applying for a planning certificate online

Certificates can be obtained online using LANDATA® Titles, Property Certificates and Crown Land Status Reports.

You can apply for a planning certificate online by opening LANDATA® Titles, Property Certificates and Crown Land Status Reports and filling out a number of simple screens. All you need to supply are:

  • either your contact details, or your login identification (if you are a registered user)
  • information about the property or properties in question
  • your credit card details for the purchase of the certificate or certificates.

You may also wish to supply an electronic copy of a plan or plans.

Prepaid accounts are also available.


Further information about obtaining planning certificates is available by contacting the Land Information Centre:

Land Information Centre
Level 10
570 Bourke Street
Melbourne VIC 3000

Phone: (+61 3) 8636 2831

Page last reviewed on 22 May 2015

Global menu Back to Top