Ministerial permits

If the Minister for Planning is the responsible authority for a particular area or a particular type of permit, you can view details of the corresponding permit applications online.

Minister's Planning Permit Application Register

Under Section 49 of the Planning and Environment Act 1987, the responsible authority must keep a register containing the prescribed information of:

  • all applications for permits; and
  • all decisions and determinations relating to permits.

The department has introduced Greenlight, an online planning permit management system for permit applications where the Minister for Planning is the responsible authority. Greenlight contains the planning permit application register for:

  • All planning permit applications determined since 29 November 2014;
  • All planning permit applications which are currently active, as of 13 August 2015; and
  • All planning permit applications received since 13 August 2015.

View the Minister's Planning Permit Application Register


The planning permit applications determined by the Minister for Planning prior to 29 November 2014 can be viewed below:

Officer reports

Officer reports are released to provide transparency about the technical planning advice provided by DELWP to inform the Minister for Planning's decision making on planning permit decisions. Sensitive information has been redacted from the reports.

View the officer reports.

Officer planning reports for the central city

The officer reports for planning permit decisions for:

  • development proposals exceeding 25,000 square metres of gross floor area in the City of Melbourne, since 1 December 2010 and;
  • significant development proposals where the Minister for Planning issues permits in the Fisherman's Bend Urban Renewal Area up until the 30 September 2014 are available for viewing.

Officer planning reports for central Geelong

The officer reports for planning permit decisions for:

  • Use and development proposals exceeding 5,000 square metres of gross floor area, five storeys excluding a basement, or 50 or more dwellings in central Geelong, since 22 October 2015, are available for viewing.              

Where is the Minister responsible?

The Minister for Planning is the responsible authority and planning authority for certain large-scale developments and planning scheme areas including (but not limited to): 

  • Port of Melbourne Planning Scheme
  • Central Dandenong, Kew Residential Services, Waverley Park
  • Alpine Resorts Planning Scheme (Mt Hotham, Falls Creek, Mt Buller, Mt Stirling, Mt Baw Baw, & Lake Mountain)
  • French Island and Sandstone Island
  • the Melbourne Planning Scheme where:
    • development is in excess of 25,000 square metres
    • development and use of land is on behalf of a Minister of the Crown
    • Melbourne Showgrounds
    • Flemington Racecourse
    • other specific sites including the Melbourne Casino
  • the Port Phillip Planning Scheme (Fishermans Bend Urban Renewal Area) where development is located in specific areas and is for one or more of the following:
    • Development with a building height of 4 storeys or greater
    • Use and or/development for 60 or more dwellings
    • Use and/or development with a gross floor area exceeding 10,000 square metres
    • Use and or/development where any part of the land is owned by a public authority and/or municipal council and the estimated cost of development is more than $10,000,000 
  • Central Geelong where:
    •  use and/or development is in excess of 5,000 square metres
    • use and/or development is of five or more storeys, excluding a basement/s
    • use and/or development is for 50 or more dwellings

These responsibilities can change from time to time.

Please note: The schedule to Clause 61.01 of each planning scheme lists the responsible authority for administering and enforcing that scheme.


For further information or advice concerning the areas listed above where the Minister for Planning is the responsible authority and/or planning authority you should contact or (03) 8392 5533.

Page last reviewed on 7 September 2016

Global menu Back to Top