Planning permit application forms

The Application for Planning Permit form can be used to apply for planning permits in all areas of Victoria where either the local council or the Minister for Planning is responsible for issuing planning permits.

Use the links below to go to select the appropriate form for your local council, or you can request a copy of the form from the relevant council or departmental regional office.

Note: New fees apply from 13 October 2016.

View the new fees and more information.

Planning Permit Application form

How to complete the form

Follow these steps to use the planning permit application forms:

  1. Select and download the form applicable to the council responsible for making the decision on your permit application. For some areas the Minister for Planning will make this decision and this form is provided at the bottom of the page.
  2. You can either print the form and fill it in by hand, or use it on your computer as an online form. Note: if you choose to fill the form in electronically you should print it because you can only save a blank form to your computer.

For help on how to complete the form, download this guide:

Software requirements

Please note: The Application for Planning Permit form is optimised for use in Internet Explorer 11 or later. If it is not displaying correctly it is recommended that you update Internet Explorer to the latest version.

Application forms

Council forms

Use these forms where a council is responsible for making the decision about your permit application. Select the council where you need to lodge your application from the maps or lists below.

If you don't know the name of your local council, you can search by postcode at Find Your Local Council

Metropolitan Melbourne

Map of the Melbourne metropolitan area

Rural Victoria

Map of the council areas in rural and regional Victoria

The Permit Application Form is also available in an accessible Microsoft Word format:

Minister for Planning forms

Use this form where the Minister for Planning is responsible for making the decision about your permit application. This includes applications in Alpine Resorts, Central City, Docklands, French Island and Sandstone Island, Port of Melbourne and all other applications to the Minister for Planning such as wind energy facilities applications under Clause 61.01.

VicSmart application forms

Your council can advise what form you should use for a local VicSmart application. If council does not have a specific VicSmart form, you can use one of these forms when making an application for a planning permit under VicSmart. More information about VicSmart...

Application to amend a permit

If you need to change your permit or the endorsed plans after they have been issued, you will need to lodge an 'Application to amend a planning permit'.  View information about applying to amend a permit and the Application to Amend a Permit forms

More information

For more information or assistance about a council form, contact your local council. Contact details for the council are provided at the end of each application form.

For assistance with Minister for Planning application forms, please email, ring 1800 789 386 or contact the department's relevant regional office.

Accessibility of documents on this page

Some of the documents on this page are presented in PDF format. If you have difficulty in accessing any of these documents please contact us at

Page last reviewed on 18 October 2016

Global menu Back to Top