Reformed zones for Victoria
Planning zones in Victoria have been reformed to ensure that they are still relevant and adequately reflect the aspirations of all Victorians. New and amended zones were approved by the Minister for Planning.
The zone reforms have:
- simplified requirements
- allowed a broader range of activities to be considered
- improved the range of zones to better manage growth.
The government is undertaking a review of the reformed residential zones.
Further details are available on the Managing Residential Development Advisory Committee page.
Three new residential zones were introduced into the Victoria Planning Provisions by Amendment V8, gazetted on 1 July 2013.
The three amended residential zones, two new commercial zones and three amended industrial zones were introduced into the Victoria Planning Provisions and planning schemes by Amendment VC100, gazetted on 15 July 2013.
The reformed rural zones were introduced into the Victoria Planning Provisions and planning schemes by Amendment VC103, gazetted on 5 September 2013.
Amendment VC116, gazetted on 1 July 2014, applied the General Residential Zone to any land previously zoned Residential 1, 2 and 3 not already included in a new residential zone.The amendment also removed the Residential 1, 2 and 3 Zones from the Victoria Planning Provisions and all planning schemes.
Further details about the zones are provided below:
What has changed?
The Government has approved changes to Victoria's residential, commercial, industrial and rural zones as listed below.
|Delete nine existing zones||Create five new zones||Amend 12 existing zones|
|Residential 1 Zone
Residential 2 Zone
Residential 3 Zone
Business 1 Zone
Business 2 Zone
Business 3 Zone
Business 4 Zone
Business 5 Zone
Priority Development Zone*
|Residential Growth Zone
General Residential Zone
Neighbourhood Residential Zone
Commercial 1 Zone
Commercial 2 Zone
|Low Density Residential Zone
Mixed Use Zone
Rural Living Zone
Green Wedge Zone
Green Wedge A Zone
Rural Conservation Zone
Rural Activity Zone
Industrial 1 Zone
Industrial 2 Zone
Industrial 3 Zone
**The Priority Development Zone will be removed from the Victoria Planning Provisions and all planning schemes through a later amendment, in consultation with local government.
- Reformed residential zones fact sheet, July 2014 (PDF, 216.8 KB, 2 pp.) or (DOC, 79.0 KB, 4 pp.)
- Reformed commercial zones fact sheet, July 2013 (PDF, 276.3 KB, 2 pp.) or (DOC, 69.0 KB, 2 pp.)
- Improved industrial zones fact sheet, July 2013 (PDF, 257.8 KB, 1 p.) or (DOC, 66.0 KB, 1 p.)
- Reformed rural zones fact sheet, 15 August 2013 (PDF, 255.4 KB, 2 pp.) or (DOC, 69.0 KB, 2 pp.)
- View details about the consultation for the reformed zones and the advisory committee and their reports
For enquiries about the reformed zones please contact the Victorian Government Contact Centre on 1300 366 356 (local call cost) or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.