VGC Annual reports and consultations
The Victoria Grants Commission (VGC) Annual Reports provide an overview of the Commission's activities for each financial year and details of the methodology used to allocate grants.
The appendices to the Annual Report contain the data for each council that was used in this process.
The Victoria Grants Commission undertakes consultation with councils and other interested parties in regards to its methodology and application of data. A number of forums are provided annually by the Commission for communication of its allocation methodology, thereby making opportunities available for councils to provide input into the annual grants determination process, as well as for the Commission to listen and respond to councils' issues and concerns.
The Commission also holds a number of meetings with individual councils each year. The purpose of these meetings is to provide councils with a detailed overview of the Commission's role and methodology, and how the grant outcomes are determined. The meetings enable the Commission to gain a greater understanding of the issues facing individual councils.
In 2015-16, the Commission visited a total of 17 councils on an individual basis and held 5 regional information sessions throughout Victoria.
As part of the consultation process each year, the Commission gives councils the opportunity to make written submissions about next year's allocations.
All submissions received in relation to the next allocations have been published here in order to allow all councils access to the full range of issues put before the commission for consideration. The views presented in these submissions provide valuable input on aspects of both the general purpose and local roads grant allocation methodologies, including the construction and application of the cost adjustors and cost modifiers used to reflect the local characteristics of individual councils.
The Commission received submissions from 4 councils for the 2016-17 allocation:
- Central Goldfields Rural City Council (PDF 1.2 MB)
- Corangamite Shire Council (PDF 243.6 KB)
- Nillumbik Shire Council (PDF 2.1 MB)
- Wellington Shire Councils (PDF 593.2 KB)
General Purpose Grants
- Review of Standardised Revenue Assessment, 2004 (PDF 416.0 KB) or (DOC 842.5 KB)
- Review of Standardised Revenue Assessment: Implementation of Recommendations - Questions and Answers Sheet, 2004 (PDF 27.0 KB)
- Review of the Allocation of General Purpose Grants to Victorian Councils: Final Report, 2001 (PDF 340.0 KB) or (DOC 1.0 MB)
Local Roads Grants
Commonwealth Grants Commissions
State Grants Commissions
- New South Wales Local Government Grants Commission
- Queensland Local Government Grants Commission
- South Australian Local Government Grants Commission
- Tasmania - State Grants Commission
- Western Australian Local Government Grants Commission
- Northern Territory Grants Commission
- Municipal Association of Victoria (MAV)
- Australian Local Government Association (ALGA)
- Victorian Local Governance Association (VLGA)
Roads to Recovery Program
The Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development administers the Commonwealth Government's Roads to Recovery Program.
These funds are allocated directly by Commonwealth Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development and not through the VGC.