The Minister's role
The Minister for Local Government is Hon Natalie Hutchins MP.
Ministerial Statement on Local Government
- improve councils’ integrity and governance
- strengthen capacity and performance
- provide the platform for local government to deliver for communities.
The Minister is responsible for administering the following principal Acts:
- Local Government Act 1989
- Local Government (Rural City of Wangaratta) Act 2013
- Local Government (Brimbank City Council) Act 2009
- City of Melbourne Act 2001
- City of Greater Geelong Act 1993
- Libraries Act 1988
- Victoria Grants Commission Act 1976
- Municipalities Assistance Act 1973
- Municipal Association Act 1907
- Prahran Mechanics' Institute Act 1899
Visit the Victorian Legislation and Parliamentary Documents website to search for the latest versions of these acts.
The Minister also acts as advocate for local government issues within government and, through Local Government Victoria supports and monitors the system of local government.
The Minister is not directly involved in the detailed management of individual councils.