The Department of Transport, Planning and Local Infrastructure (DTPLI) values the privacy of every individual's personal information and is committed to protecting the privacy of personal and health information in compliance with the Victorian Information Privacy Act 2000 and the Health Records Act 2001.
This privacy statement only applies to information collected via the DTPLI web presences and does not apply to any externally linked websites. We recommend that you familiarise yourself with privacy statements of any external site we link to.
This privacy statement gives details about how your personal information will be handled by DTPLI when you access and interact with any of its web presences, including any service that facilitates interactive information sharing. Examples of such web applications include social-networking services (e.g. Yammer or Facebook), wikis (e.g. Wikipedia), blogs, micro-blogs (e.g. Twitter) and web feed services (e.g. RSS feed).
DTPLI also recommends that you read any terms and conditions (including any privacy statement or policy) that apply to any web service as any such terms and conditions relating to the handling of your personal information by the web service will prevail over this privacy statement to the extent of any inconsistency.
DTPLI may update this privacy statement from time to time. Any changes to this privacy statement will be published on the DTPLI website.
Information on this page:
- Collection of personal and health information
- Collection of data for statistical and administrational purposes
- Use and disclosure of personal and health information
- Web statistics data collection
- Access and correction
- More information and privacy contact details
Collection of personal and health information
The types of personal and health information that DTPLI collects through its web presences include:
- your name, email address, telephone number, IP address and other contact or identification detail
- the content of any online application, enquiry, submission, subscription, survey, registration form, or complaint that you submit to any of its web presences
- the content of any other solicited or unsolicited electronic communication that you send to the any of its web presences
- any registration information that you provide to use any web service which is accessible through its web presences
- the content of any comments that you post to, or otherwise make available on, any of its web presences
- the content of any forum topics or replies that you submit through any of its web presences
- metadata relating to any electronic communications that you send to any of DTPLI's web presences, such as your electronic address, time and date sent, time and date received, unique message identification, message type, message length, etc.
- any other information that you provide to, or make available on, any of its web presences.
Collection of data for statistical and administrational purposes
DTPLI uses web analytics software to collect information about usage statistics for its web presences. This information is not used by DTPLI to identify you or match with any of your personal information.
The following anonymous information may be automatically recorded for statistical and system administration purposes:
- your server address
- your top level domain name (e.g. .com, .au, .gov)
- the date and the time of your visit to the site
- the pages you accessed and downloaded
- the address of the last site you visited
- your operating system
- the device you are using
- the type of browser you are using.
To the extent that any collected data could make you identifiable, DTPLI will not attempt to identify you from such data unless necessary for the investigation of unlawful activity or otherwise permitted under the Information Privacy Act 2000.
Use and disclosure of personal and health information
Protecting your personal information is an important aspect of the way we create, organise and implement our business activities. We will only collect personal information that is necessary to perform these functions.
DTPLI will use or disclose personal information that we collect from you only:
- for the primary purpose for which it was collected
- with your consent
- for uses required or authorised by law
- for any other purpose permitted under the Information Privacy Act 2000 or Health Records Act 2001 respectively.
Subject to the requirements of the Information Privacy Act 2000 and the Health Records Act 2001, DTPLI may need to disclose personal and health information which it collects to:
- DTPLI's service providers which provide website, archival, auditing, professional advisory, banking, mailhouse, delivery, recruitment, call centre, technology, research, utility, security, electronic payment or application processing services
- organisations acting on your behalf, for example your solicitor or interpreter.
We will remove personal information where it is no longer required (except where archiving is required and in compliance with the Public Records Act 1973). We will take reasonable steps to ensure that personal information is accurate, complete and up to date whenever DTPLI collects, discloses or uses it.
DTPLI has implemented technology and security policies to protect the personal and health information which it collects through its web presences. You should be aware that there are risks in transmitting information across the internet. While DTPLI strives to protect such information, it cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information transmitted and you do so at your own risk. If you are concerned about providing sensitive information to DTPLI, you might prefer to contact us by telephone or mail.
Any information which you post on DTPLI's web presences using any web service may be accessible to third parties who may use your information for unauthorised purposes. You acknowledge and agree that DTPLI is not responsible for any such use or disclosure.
DTPLI will take reasonable steps to remove personal and health information from its system where it is no longer required for the purpose for which it was collected or any other purpose (including archiving) which is permitted in accordance with the Information Privacy Act 2000 or Health Records Act 2001. Even where DTPLI removes your information, it may remain on external servers indefinitely.
Users may set their browser to identify the presence of cookies and to give them the option of accepting or rejecting them. However, a website or web application may not function fully if you disallow cookies.
Web statistics data collection
The department uses web analytics software to collect usage statistics for its web sites. This information is not used by the department to identify you or match your identity with any of your personal information.
Access and correction
DTPLI relies upon you to ensure that any personal or health information that you provide to, or make available on its web presences is accurate, current, complete and relevant. DTPLI also relies upon you to advise it of any changes to such personal or health information.
You can request access to your personal information directly without the need to make a formal application under the Freedom of Information Act 1982. Please contact the DTPLI Privacy Officer.
However, there are situations where it will not be appropriate to provide such access, and you will be required to make a formal freedom of information request, for example, where providing access would compromise the privacy of another person. If informal access cannot be given, contact DTPLI's Privacy Officer.
More information and privacy contact details
For further information about the handling of personal and health information by DTPLI, please contact:
Department of Transport, Planning and Local Infrastructure
1 Spring Street
Melbourne VIC 3000
Telephone: (03) 9208 3169