The products and research papers below cover regional Victoria issues, including demographic trends and population change; population mobility, migration and settlement patterns; environmental issues; and economic trends in employment and regional economic development.
To view our 2011 Census products, please visit the 2011 Census area on our pages.
Victoria in Future is the Victorian Government's official population and household projections.
Towns in Time provides summary Census data from 1981 to 2011 for Victorian towns.
The Victorian Population Bulletin is an annual publication that provides a valuable snapshot on population change and the drivers behind that change.
- Attraction and Retention (2016) (PDF 1.1 MB) or (DOC 1.4 MB) summarises the findings of a 3-year Australian Research Council (ARC) Linkage Project (LP120100212). The research uses longitudinal and survey-based data to gain insights into migration pathways and potential return migration.
Long Distance Commuting - Stawell Case Study (PDF, 1.4 MB, 57 pp.) or (DOC, 1.0 MB, 57 pp.)
Faced with the impending closure of the Stawell gold mine, people and businesses in Stawell examined and pursued opportunities to commute to other mines in Australia to utilise their skills base while retaining population.
- Population and Settlement along the Victorian Coast
Background Research Paper to inform the Victorian Coastal Strategy 2013. The report provides background information that has informed the proposed policies relating to planning and managing coastal settlements within the Draft Victorian Coastal Strategy 2013.
- Change and Disadvantage in Regional Victoria (2011) consists of reports describing change and disadvantage in each of the five regions in regional Victoria.
- Regional Victoria: Trends and Prospects (PDF, 1.2 MB, 49 pp.) (2010) provides an overview of demographic change in regional Victoria.
- Regional Victoria Trends and Prospects Errata - p.13 table (PDF, 80.4 KB, 1 p.) or (DOC, 35.0 KB, 1 p.)
- Victoria's Regional Centres Report (2010) is an examination of demographic trends in Geelong, Ballarat and Bendigo over the period 1981 to 2006.
- The Drying Lake: Lake Boga's Experience of Change and Uncertainty (PDF, 1.7 MB, 80 pp.) (2010) examines the impact of environmental change on a regional community.
- Regional Youth Migration and the Influence of Tertiary Institutions (PDF, 683.7 KB, 26 pp.) (2009) provides insights and understanding about the migration patterns of young adults as they move through tertiary education.
- The Youth Migration Study (2009) examines the choices of young adults as they make locational decisions to undertake university study. The research provides a better understanding of the movement of young adults between regional Victoria and Melbourne.
- Internal Migration in Victoria (2008) provides an overview of the major internal migration trends in Victoria, focusing on the period 2001 to 2006.